[Ansteorra] carved amber

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 18 21:03:43 PDT 2005

On Apr 14, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Cairenn Day wrote:
> I certainly don't mind Deb, (my laurel) getting some business, but, I
> also do carved amber and I'm a lot closer.  Just don't forget your
> local
> artists.

Was carving of amber done in period? Have you, or your Laurel, written
any articles on this subject? If so, I'd love to consider them for the
Florilegium. My standard policy is that the copyright remains with the
author, I'd just like to get the information out where folks can make
use of it.

In this case, information about the carving of amber in period, how it
might differ from how it is done today and/or perhaps some hands-on
details on carving it.  I've heard that much of the amber available
today is reconstituted from amber scraps and dust. Does this carve the
same as natural amber? If this stuff is available cheaper is it a good
way for someone new to the art to start out?

Thanks,
   Stefan

PS: If the SCA artists out there who are selling their work will send
me an email describing the work they do and give the appropriate
contact info, especially websites, I would be willing to add their
message(s) to the appropriate Florilegium file(s).
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com