[Ansteorra] Come play period "soccer" at Pennsic

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 09:48:08 PDT 2005

Got this off another list - might be of interest to those heading to
Pennsic and perhaps something to bring back home to play.

Cheers, Hillary

    Greetings,

 I've had a bit of a research project going on for some time now,
 into the origins of soccer in Italy. Books can only take one so
 far, however, and I feel it's time to take the theories out onto the
playing field for some real experimentation. Therefore I invite
 anyone who is interested in playing, referee-ing, or even just
 watching, to join me in an attempt to play the game of Calcio
 (Florentine soccer) in accordance with the rules published by
 Giovanni de' Bardi in 1589, sometime during the second week of
 Pennsic War.

 The original setup had 27 players on a side, and I don't expect to get
half that number on a first attempt. :-) I would, however, love to hear
back from anyone who is interested in participating, in
 whatever capacity. I am very eager to try this out, and it would be
immensely helpful to have an idea of numbers of potential players before
trying to set the experiment in motion, and a copy of the
 rules could be made available to interested parties beforehand.

 No knowledge of modern soccer is necessary, nor even athleticism
 (although be aware, there will be lots of running and tackling),
 just enthusiasm for trying a new game. If this piques anyone's
 interest, please drop me a line (off-list --
 phoenissa at netscape.net), and feel free to forward this to anyone you
know who might be interested. :-)

 Grazie mille,
 Vittoria