[Ansteorra] Period Container Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Aug 7 15:55:41 PDT 2005

  Last night I wrote:

> At one time, I considered learning how to make wooden barrels and
> casks. Then I bought this book, and decided that coopering was way
> beyond my skills, even for dry barrels, much less those for holding
> liquids. The barrel staves end up having to be carved so they curve
> in all three directions. They also need to be made with wood which
> is radially split from the log and not sawn in slices as is done
> with a band or circular saw.
>
> Argh. I just upgraded from Mac OS 10.3 to 10.4 (Tiger) and now Word
> and my book database (Readerware) don't seem to be working. Nor can
> I lay my hands on this book immediately. There are several other
> books on coopering mentioned in the file below and if anyone wants
> the bibliographic info of the book I was trying to give, email me
> and I'll send it to you when I find the book or can get to my
> database.

Okay, I think I found the problem. Even on a Mac when you fill up a
40 Gbyte disk leaving only a few hundred K of space, things often
don't quite work right... :-)

Here is the book which I mentioned. I think I now recognize this as
being mentioned in my coopering-msg file as well.

The Cooper and His Trade
Kilby, Kenneth
ISBN: 0-941936-16-3
Linden Publishing, Fresno, Calif.
April 1990
192 pages
dimensions: 0.68 x 9.04 x 6.12

If anyone is doing or takes up coopering, I'd love to see pictures of
your work. Or see it in person at a King's College or some such.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com