[Ansteorra] On the subject of bardic

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 22 08:30:28 PDT 2005

--- elizabeth at crouchet.com wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can find the complete lyrics and authoriship credits for the
> various versions of the Queen's Champion song?
>
> Thanks,
> Claire

This is what I have on the song, though the one Don Thorland sings at Queen's Champion is a bit
different.  For a recorded version of the song, I have copies of Eleanor Fairchild's CD, titled
"Swansong".  Please email me for CD information.

Yours in service,
Lord Alden Drake
Student to HL Eleanor Fairchild

Queen's Champion

By  Myfanwy Ferch Tengwystl
and Eleanor Fairchild

Of all ladies fair, a sovereign reigns
And ever tis easily seen
Of all of the treasures the kingdom contains
The finest belong to the queen.
I give you my treasure so well-wrought and fine
Such beaty, high value assures.
More precious than anything I may call mine
And yet, at a word, he is yours.

Chorus:
None can compare
With bright honor rare.
He goes as the swift arrow flies.
To stand in the strife
To hazard his life for a glance from Your Majesty's eyes.

Such gifts may seem small to a sovereigns taste
So many such you can command
For near four-score fighters would lay the field waste
At the wave of Your Majesty's hand.
They glare at their rivals across from their swords
They hope for high honor, tis true.
Yet each lord has a lady, each lady a lord
Who has yielded that fighter to you,

Chorus

I do not begrudge the loan of a man
To fight for the land he adores
The love of one fighter is lain in my hands
The love of a legion in yours.
It's been his desire since the hour of his birth
To shield you the way he shields me
And ever awhile he resides on the earth
My love your protector will be.

Chorus, repeat.

Shea's version:

Of all burdens just a sovereign bears
The greatest by far is command
When dangers do threaten you tearfully dare
To trade precious lives for your land
But we are your champions this swashbuckling band
Our oaths to you we gladly sing
Our path we have chosen, before all we stand
To lay down our lives for our queen

Original Chorus:
Bars cannot hold a fighter so bold