[Ansteorra] The Wall - A letter to Baron Lucais

phocas at bordermarch.org phocas at bordermarch.org
Fri Aug 26 11:33:17 PDT 2005

This message forwarded to Ansteorra for Melees promotion.....

  Good day to you Baron Master Lucais du Belier from your mortar man at
Border Keep.
I am here to tell you naught but good news of Border Keeps new stone wall
and the protection it will surely provide you and your hoard against Baron
Armands massing armies.
   Although the formula for the mortar mixture I used was of my own design I
am almost certain it will not crumble to dust for I had nothing but good
thoughts of you and yours as I constantly fed your beast we affectionately
call the "Mortar Mixer".
  Conceived in the bowels of the earth this beast is a churning mass of iron
with an unending appetite for dirt and sweat. The mixture of soil, water and
other things I threw into its gaping maw seemed to satiate it for only a
moment before it was ready to excrete into my slop bucket the glue we used
to hold your wall together. The joy I felt as every muscle in my flabby body
strained to tilt the belly of the beast so it could give birth to a new
batch of mortar cannot be expressed in words. Through my dust matted eyes I
could see the women and children you had working to construct your precious
wall watch me as I labored to bring them another load of wet wall mud. Their
eyes would moisten as they reached out their undernourished arms in
anticipation of more work to be done for you Baron Mast Lucais du Belier.
Cracked and bleeding hands lovingly filled every nook and cranny in the wall
with my special mortar and more than a few tears.
   My time left in this world has been cut short due to my contracting
Mast-Lucais disease. You are well aware that the early symptoms of
Mast-Lucais disease are joint weakness and the impending feeling of doom as
one works oneself to death. Though my eyes are permanently mortared shut and
my lungs are coated with black dust the beast belched back at me I sort of
harbor no ill will toward you Baron Master Lucais du Belier. The wife and
children understand my sacrifice was necessary to assure that your
safekeeping and maintaining the easy lifestyle you are accustomed to living
is disturbed in no way. I ask no compensation for myself but do beg you to
throw my family any bones your dogs will not eat. The diet of roots and
grubs we live on due to lack of payment for services rendered does not seem
to be working out for the family.

In service
Forever loyal to Bordermarch
The mortar man

Flesh is gone and bones be white
Fetch them from thy moat
A final wish to feed the beast
My bones will make it choke

intended solely for SCA entertainment. If you have received this email in
error please notify someone.