[Ansteorra] Period Container Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Aug 6 22:35:45 PDT 2005

On Aug 6, 2005, at 11:22 PM, Eddie and Barbara Calhoun wrote:
> You might want to check out the garden centers..they
> sometimes have wooden barrel planters that you could
> put together to make a wooden barrel out of.
> Ldy Arabella

That sounds like a good idea, especially since the two barrel halves
don't actually have to hold liquid. They are just used to cover the
modern container. The split between the halves should be disguiseable
with another metal band or something. Unfortunately, I've never send
these barrels available without having been sawn in half. These might
be available directly from the distillers, but since it would be an
individual shipment and the complete barrel couldn't be set side each
other for shipping, the shipping would be more than for a pair of
half barrels.

Townsend's does sell complete wooden barrels aimed at re-enactors. I
think they are all smaller than the size you are needing for this and
they are rather expensive. However, I have seen groups and households
make good use to the smaller barrels to hold drinking water in their
encampments.

Unfortunately, like most period containers, it will still be heavy.
That may not be a concern in this situation though.

At one time, I considered learning how to make wooden barrels and
casks. Then I bought this book, and decided that coopering was way
beyond my skills, even for dry barrels, much less those for holding
liquids. The barrel staves end up having to be carved so they curve
in all three directions. They also need to be made with wood which is
radially split from the log and not sawn in slices as is done with a
band or circular saw.

Argh. I just upgraded from Mac OS 10.3 to 10.4 (Tiger) and now Word
and my book database (Readerware) don't seem to be working. Nor can I
lay my hands on this book immediately. There are several other books
on coopering mentioned in the file below and if anyone wants the
bibliographic info of the book I was trying to give, email me and
I'll send it to you when I find the book or can get to my database.

You might also be interested in this file in the CRAFTS section of
the Florilegium:
coopering-msg - Making barrels and kegs.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/coopering-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas