[Ansteorra] Rant on writing (crossposted)

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at comcast.net
Thu Aug 18 19:03:54 PDT 2005

I used to work for a professional publishing company (Steve Jackson Games)
and my boss (Steve) would edit my typed memos and give them back to me for
correction. It used to drive me *crazy*, but my writing improved over a
short period of time. I wanted to be able to write a memo without getting it
back all marked up!

I encourage my apprentices and protege's to send me their research papers
and documentation *before* putting them into an A & S competition so I can
edit their papers. If they try to take shortcuts and finish their
documentation the night before the event, and don't let me read it first,
they may not do as well in the competition because of poorly written
documentation. When I edit it, I let them know that I have made changes by
using a different color font. They can then choose to keep my corrections,
or change them back to the original. I like for them to print out both the
original and the corrected copy and compare them side by side.

When my husband and I are writing papers for our respective classes in law
school or grad school, we proof each other's work for typos, clarity, and
cohesiveness. Everyone can miss something, or just use a wrong word. When
you re-read your own writing, you don't always see your own mistakes - so
you get a friend to edit your work.

As for investing in your education, I don't *even* want to discuss it. We
will be paying for our student loans out of our retirement accounts.....

Xene