[Ansteorra] Katrina damage - Hattiesburg

Chelsea Williams baby_sis_83 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 30 20:14:14 PDT 2005

Yes, that is the report I heard too. I was able to get into contact with a
friend that lives in Arkansas whose sister weathered the storm there. She
lives in MS, 2 blocks from the coast. Her car and clothes are ruined.
Anyway, there's no power, and no phone activity at all. From what I know,
however, everyone is okay. It's my understanding (don't know how much truth
there is to this) that there are injuries but no deaths reported..... yet.
-Grainne

I haven't seen any reports specifically about Lumberton and the Gulf Wars
site yet, but here's a blog report (non-SCAdian) from Hattiesburg:

"My report from Hattiesburg, MS...

Guys, I rode Katrina out in Hattiesburg. I don't know what has been posted
on here, but I'll give you my quick recount of what went down. Monday
morning right at 8:00 we lost power. About 10-11ish, the weather started
to pick up drastically. At about 12:15, we started to hit the eye wall.
This storm's power was AMAZING! I can't even begin to describe the power
of this storm. After a long morning, i was finally able to get out of my
apartment at about 3:30 or 4:00. We had sustanded winds of 100+ MPH with
gusts over 120MPH.

We soon went for a short ride around Hattiesburg. The destruction was
devastating. Muggshots, Stricks, and Crecent City all have very severe
damage. Tree's are down EVERYWHERE. WDAM reported that the best case for
restoration of power in Hattiesburg is 2 weeks. I was told that the whole
infastructure of power lines was destroyed and that they would have to
replace about 80-90% of all power lines. Also there wasn't a power pole
that was still intact. Hattiesbug is a disaster area. There isn't a street
light that is in its correct location. They were all blown out. There
isn't a gas station in the city that I found that didn't have a lot of
damage. I found only a couple that were open this morning. And none were
selling gas.

I am able to post this because I left Hattiesburg this morning. Hope this
can give you guys a little bit of insite to the type of devastation there.
Please pray for the people left in Hattiesburg, the Mississippi coast and
New Orleans. The devastation in these areas are unimaginable."

                Hal Siegel - TherionArms
               http://www.therionarms.com