[Ansteorra] Baron Felix's passing

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 16:58:50 PST 2005

Felix first found the SCA at Del Mar College in Corpus Christi, TX. He often would
  come in to play chess with the students there. Many SCAers would  challenge him in chess so he got to know us...and with his love of  theater (he had been in a number of community theater productions in  his long life)...he just naturally fell in with us...

  I was honoured to make his first SCA clothes...I had a custom of making  2 tunics free for new people. Felix brought some very shiny pink and  blue metallic fabric and asked me to make some doublets...I didn't have  the heart to tell him the fabric was not appropriate...he was so proud  of it...and I didn't want to chase him away so I just took the fabric  and made the doublets. He wore them a few times. After he found out  that other fabrics were more appropriate...he donated the metaliic ones  to the drama department.

  I remember being local herald...and helping Felix with his device...and  being frustrated because the College of Heralds turned down his device  because the
  rook had just one head...we resubmitted and it went through...yeah!

  He was my foster father...and the only grandfather my son has  known....he taught Kris to play chess and treated him just like one of  his own. He was
  father and grandfather to many in Seawinds...

  I remember how he found out his son played SCA. He had come to me  telling me that the SCA made a mistake...that they had given him 2  years of membership for one. When he called to check up on it...he  found that his son (who he hadn't spoken to in many years) was also in  the SCA. I never knew the reason why Felix was estranged from Felix Jr  or most of the rest of his blood children, but for the SCA...he would  have still been estranged from Felix Jr and not known his  daughter-in-law or grandchildren.

  He would always tell me how I would be a Laurel some day...and several  years after I had moved from Seawinds I was offered  not a Laurel  but Pelican....at that
  point I was very disheartened with the SCA...and with all my being I  wanted to turn it down...but I knew to turn it down would break his  heart...and I couldn't do that...I accepted the accolade and was glad  that he was able to witness something he thought I deserved.

  Each time the doctors diagnosed him with cancer or some other  disease....Felix prepared to die...and gave away the majority of his  SCA things...and his crafts...
  and his books (he was an incessant reader) and every time but the last  he miraculously recovered and gladly rebuilt his stock of SCA things so  that he could participate with his SCA family...

  My son and I went to Ulsted and Cateau's coronation in Seawinds.   We both got to spend time with Felix. Kris played Felix several games  of chess. I got to sit and talk with him after the nobles luncheon for  a few hours...we will both treasure
  these last few times in his company...

  I miss that honery, stubborn, generous, loving man!!!!

  May his name ring in the halls of the Gods till the end of time!

  Lorraine DeerSlayer