Land - Re: [Ansteorra] Question 12/13

niklas at pbgilbert.net niklas at pbgilbert.net
Sun Dec 18 06:15:51 PST 2005

Not just in the SCA, but in many cases where private land has been used
for events and such, if folks are allowed to set up permemant camps in
the same location without VERY VERY clear understandings as to usage,
access, and such, over a period of time the fact that the land is not
really theirs (the user not the owner) gets lost or conveneniantlly
fforgotten, and the users begin to become "attached" to the land to a
point that they think they (the user) now "own" the land and the real
land owner has no say or is not important.

This has happened twice in Ansteorra alone and I am sure other places.

In Texas, the land owner in cases like this is 99.99999999999999999% of
time the winner...legions of lawyers or not.

This is a really complicated matter, that if a group wants to use
private land for SCA events, they really need a "use agreement" done so
as to protect all parties rights and not get in a finger pointing
contest at a later date.

It can be a very simple agreement, outlining who is what, who does what
or doe not do what and such.

One sheet of paper can prevent problems in the future.

Just speaking from the voice of experience on this one.

HE Niklas

Ciard49 at aol.com wrote:

> What sort of problems have arisen in the past?
>
> Ciard
>

> In a message dated 12/18/2005 7:28:36 AM Central Standard Time,
> gilli at hot.rr.com writes:
>
> Yeap,  I've seen that too.  For some, a handshake and a few words gets it
> done. For others; lots of ink, a small forest and a platoon of lawyers  might
> still not get it done.
>
> You're right.  It's can be most  amazing to see how a members selfless
> generosity can be turned  around.
>
> But, people can be amazing.
>
> Gilli

Paul Gilbert, KE5ZW		H.E. Niklas Vasilevich
niklas at pbgilbert.net	      CB,CSM,KGA,OTR,ORH,Crane,AoA
936-714-3198 Cellular            Kingdom of Ansteorra
             Society for Creative Anachronism

            Texas Dept. Of Transportation, Radio Operations
            Austin, Texas                      512-506-5141
                       pgilber at dot.state.tx.us

                        "The Eagle has landed"
         "Sable, a double-headed eagle, a bordure engrailed or"