[Ansteorra] RE: To who it may concern-skerri's reply

Robert Stewart skerritheviking at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 23 11:22:13 PST 2005

I really have no idea as to what is going on, as I have been offline for awhile and am just now catching up.  However, that is really rather not relavent.  What is relavent is that our Organization is supposed to be doing it's best to recreate in words and actions the aspirations of 1600 AD and earlier.  Honor, Courtesy, Honesty, to name a few.  Part of Corpora states (paraphrasing) that each person of equal "rank" (as in SCA Awards) treats the other as being of a higher rank, a person of higher rank treats a person of lower rank as an equal, and that we all be chivalrous, courteous, honest, and honorable.  It seems to me by the reading of this e-mail that what has happened is not what paid members and non-paying members (the only difference being discounts and newsletters and certain positions and fighting in Crown/being fought for in Crown really) should be doing under the written rules, and more importantly, the unwritten Ideals of " The Dream".

  The World is full of enough strife, back-biting, theft, war, hate, deceipt, murder, and all manner of other challenges.  The SCA is supposed to be a break from all of that;  Even a party at an SCA member's house should be a break from the challenges and hardships we all must endure.  Why must those of you who have back-bit this person do so?  Does it make you a better person?  Does it bring you wealth?  Does it give you Worldly power?  Did you get elected as a United States Senator because of it?  I should hope not, I would say none of these things happened.  All you managed to do was make a person that opened themselves and their home, their retreat from the pressures of mundane tasks, feel belittled and hurt.

  In my own humble opinion, I would say that each person that did this thing should give an off-list e-mail heartfelt and true apology.  An on-list apology would look face-saving, an off-list one would show the person you mean it.  Considering what was done, I do not expect this to occur, nor is it my place to demand or judge, which I am not doing, only observing and venturing an opinion.  I can only add that I hope that this bit of insult and injury, and my e-missive will remind everybody what the SCA is supposed to be about.  The Known World Handbook says we should treat each other like second cousins once removed, and I remember when it was Always like that.  I have been in since A.S. 16.

  Gilli, for my part, I am sorry that you were forced to endure abuse at the hands/mouths of my fellow Scadians, and can only say it is not the norm.

  In Service to The Dream,
  Lord Skerri Valtorsson
  Barony of Tir Ysgithr
  Kingdom of Atenveldt
  Founding Knight Marshal of The Canton of Chemin Noir

d k <kahulaville at yahoo.com> wrote:
  it's sad to see that there are some in society that
have nothing better to do then bad mouth others and
don't have the nerve to sign their own name. i for one
have always had a enjoyable time at your
parties/gatherings gilli, as have others we have
brought w/ us. please don't let a few rotton apples
stink up the fun that you and your lady darcy create
for others.
~SSJ