[Ansteorra] applique

Jan Van Zandt hejanais at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 27 14:12:56 PST 2005

Grainne,

  I use the SEW-ABLE Wonder Under - check the package.  There is a NO-sew type - you DON"T want that - it will gum up your needle and machine.

  It's best to have materials of the same weight and content washability.  You can applique a lighter weight onto a heavier weight but it doesn'r necessarily work well the other way around.

  For things like Ansteorran Stars, I iron-on Wonder Under to big squares of the material.  Do NOT remove the paper backing. Then using a cutout of the Star, I trace around the cutout on the paperside of the Wonder Under. If I want a lot of the Stars I trace all of them at the same time and try to fit them as close together as possible on the paper back.  You can never have too many Ansteorra Stars.:) Then I cut out what I need - leaving the paper backing on them.  I pull the paper backing off just before I iron them on.

  After I iron on the appliques I use a very close, narrow buttonhole (zigzag) stitch to applique them to the material.  Use thread that is the same color as the applique.  It looks better in the long run than using thread the color of the background.   I set the needle on the spot where the two materials meet and have the zigzag stich go to the inside of the applique - that way you have a smoother clean looking edge.  I am ambidextrous, so I can work on the right or left edge of an applique.  After you do a few appliques you will figure which edge feels right to you.

  I've made many banners and Rhoadd tabards. A few years ago I made the big, nine foot banner that Sir Corwin and Sir Gideon presented to the King to use as a Regional fighting prize at Gulf Wars  The Banner was given to the Bryn Gwlad War Company the first year and the next year it was presented to the Kingdom of Calontir as a gift for being allied to Ansteorra for many years. It was doublesided with two rampant white lions holding a heater shield - doing a double-sided banner is another story - having a 4'x6' light table certainly helps.

  He Jan
  Ffynnon Gath