[Ansteorra] Going to 40th year?

Chris Zakes moondrgn at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 29 18:29:44 PST 2005

At 06:09 PM 12/29/2005, you wrote:
> >Curious, is anyone from Ansteorra going to 40th year Anniversary of SCA  in
>Washington >State?
> >My lord and I are planning to fly in. The date  of the event is May 5 - 15,
>2006. The site looks >beautiful at the base of  Mt. St. Helens.
> >Anybody have suggestions about flying and having enough  camping gear for a
>week? Right >now they do not have a mail box location to  send gear to
>like at
>Pensic. Will a small dome >tent and heater go through  customs in your
>checked in luggage without looking >questionable?
>
>The tent will pass with out much of a problem but not the heater unless it
>is electric! Also they kind of froun on sharp blades, helms and other SCA
>stuff.

Um... are you talking about Customs, or Airport Security? Unless you're
planning to fly to Canada and then go back to Washington State, you
shouldn't be dealing with Customs at all.

As for dealing with Airport Security, if you're taking sharp blades as
checked (not carry-on) baggage there shouldn't be a problem. I've taken my
rapier gear to four KWARs and once to England since 9-11 and never had any
problems. I strongly doubt that a helm or other SCA gear would be a problem
either. If you're feeling particularly paranoid, put a note in with your
gear giving a two or theee-line explanation about the SCA, and the event
you're going to, so if the Security folks *do* open your luggage to check
it, they'll have some clue what's going on.

         -Tivar Moondragon