[Ansteorra] Going to 40th year?

Chris Zakes moondrgn at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 29 18:46:06 PST 2005

At 10:16 AM 12/29/2005, you wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>Curious, is anyone from Ansteorra going to 40th year Anniversary of SCA in
>Washington State?
>My lord and I are planning to fly in. The date of the event is May 5 - 15,
>2006. The site looks beautiful at the base of Mt. St. Helens.
>Anybody have suggestions about flying and having enough camping gear for a
>week? Right now they do not have a mail box location to send gear to like
>at Pensic. Will a small dome tent and heater go through customs in your
>checked in luggage without looking questionable?

It's possible to do so, especially if there is more than one person
travelling--we've flown to Pennsic with camping gear three times, for
example. The trick is to find out what the airline's maximum size and
weight limits are for luggage, and then pack to meet those limits. You may
want to invest in a wooden army-surplus footlocker, or even build a box
specifically for your SCA stuff (make sure the box has wheels, so you can
move it more easily.)

IIRC, we had the footlocker holding the tent and sleeping bags, a large ice
chest with cooking gear inside it, my bag of fighting gear, and a large
suitcase with clothes. *Don't* pack food with you, just plan a shopping
trip once you get there. Definitely don't pack cans of propane--the
airlines don't allow them. *Do* pack for all kinds of weather (recalling
one Pennsic when it was 33 degrees one morning) and you can probably take
your cloaks as carry-on items.

         -Tivar Moondragon