[Ansteorra] Byzantine costume

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 10:31:19 PST 2005

> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:51:45 -0800 (PST)
> From: rachel luce <rachel_luce1975 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Ansteorra] I need HELP with garb, people. I am soooo
> 	frustrated.
> To: Ansteorra <ansteorra at ansteorra.org>, apprentice at ansteorra.org
>    So I've finally sat down and done some research and
> I  want to Make New Garb! Specifically Byzantine, from
> the middle centuries (@900-1000 C.E)of the Empire.
> Then I started  designing the outfits and I realized
> that there are three problems with the research I've
> done.

You may want to do a few Google searches on the words 'Byzantine Costumes', or 'Byzantium'
I also found via history associations:
Byzantine and Medieval studies sites:  http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/medweb/
Byzantine studies conference 1999: http://www.byzconf.org/1999abstracts.html
Intnl. Congress of Medieval Studies: http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/
Texas Medieval Association: http://www.towson.edu/~duncan/tmahome.html

Also look at resources in scribal manuscripts, and iconography, especially those with landscapes
in them, as the common folk are often dressed more simply.
Good luck and post any findings, as I'm also interested in Byzantine dress.
Cheers, Hillary