[Ansteorra] reinforce cloak for brooch

Ciard49 at aol.com Ciard49 at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 13:56:22 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/21/2005 2:43:35 P.M. Central Standard Time,
silverhands at sbcglobal.net writes:

I have a  cloak I've had for over 20 years, with a reinforcement like you
describe.  The cloak is very heavy (especially when wet), and actually pulled
the pin  through the material on our first design. The current design is
simply a  round patch of leather (just some scrap that was handy) about 2"  in
diameter, which is sewn all around to the cloak (on the inside, where  you
won't see it when worn). The two halves of the clasp are actually sewn  to the
leather patches (through the cloak material from the outside). It  solved the
problem perfectly, and has held up extremely  well.

Michael

Thank you Michael and Morgan for the info.

I'm guessing that to have a way to remove the brooches for other garb, I
could punch holes in the leather for the pins and sew buttonhole stitch around
holes in the cloak, then sew leather patch on as suggested?

Sounds like I need thin leather for flexibility.

thank you

Ciard