[Ansteorra] Easy A&S judging sheets, don't go there

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.com
Thu Feb 24 06:55:01 PST 2005

Mahee said:
> Once many years ago for a Squires and Cadets
> event I created some judging sheets that were
> quick and easy to use...

Once upon a time, every local A&S officer, Kingdom Minister of A&S,
event autocrat, kitchen assistant, wandering minstrel, Baron and
Baroness, etc. created their own A&S judging forms pretty much at
random.

Because the forms varied wildly from event to event and year to
year, a person might score very well on one in Barony A, but get to
Kingdom A&S where a different judging form was used and score a
crushingly low number.  Artisans had a very hard time seeing if
their work was improving, since the forms all varied and it was
hard to see what you had improved and what still needed work using
the forms.  Many forms did not have room for commentary, others
either failed to encourage judges to give their names or may
actually have emphatically discouraged this information, all of
which deprived artisans of info they needed to follow up as they
grew in their arts.

On the other side of the table, at every event the Laurels were
presented with yet another form that they had to read, learn, and
figure out how to use.  This slows things down a lot.  One of the
really bad drawbacks was that having different forms also
exacerbated differences in scoring between Judge A and Judge B -
because they all used different forms, it was hard to calibrate
with other judges to help make scoring more uniform (still an
ongoing challenge, but it's getting better).

If an event is not using the current judging forms designed by the
Laurels and freely available as Word docs and PDF files at
http://laurel.ansteorra.org/ (Click on the "Judging Forms" link),
then I won't judge A&S there, simple as that.  It's unfair to both
artisans and judges when the forms change as they used to do. And I
don't have enough time in my life, much less my few hours of
recreation time, to struggle with a new form.

::GUNNVOR::