[Ansteorra] Re: Ansteorra Digest, Vol 20, Issue 16

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 14:34:48 PST 2005

> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:49:43 -0600
> From: christine hall <christine_hall at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] Renaissance handwriting
> To: "Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc." <ansteorra at ansteorra.org>
> At least these documents are in English.  I took a seminar last month in
> the Palaeography (which is what this class is) but of the Medieval
> Period.  We were looking mostly at Latin, but some old english
> documents, some full of abbreviations to the point where only every
> fifth word was spelled out completely.  This website offers you an
> abbreviation guide, as well as some other resources...all in all as soon
> as i have some liesure time, I plan on seeing how well I can do in this
> course.
>
> -=Kris=-
> Elaine Crittenden wrote:
> >Thanks for sharing the site. Great place for those with a deep sense of
> >curiosity about everything written in Period.

I found such a site a few years back, that was used for an actual semester class,
(somehow the site was not locked down on security), so before attempting this site,
thought I'd drop the administrator a quick check to make sure it was ok to use.
His response:
  "You can use the course, no problem--it is user-driven. There is no
  feedback at all (human or otherwise); entering text into the box is
  really just for your own purposes, so that you can have a record of your
  attempts at the hands (though you can cut and paste it into a word processor,
  and then print, if that is useful to you). We had hoped to provide a better
  user-interface for text entry/printing etc., but unfortunately the
  developers of commercial web software are not particularly interested
  in the needs of early modern palaeography instructors.
  Good luck--andrew"

So SCA'ers, if interested in the study of Paleography, this site is fair game.
Site again: English Handwriting 1500-1700
Cheers, Hillary Greenslade