[Ansteorra] Rant (folklore and wive's tales: fact or fallacy)

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 10:30:13 PST 2005

>From: "Michael Gunter" <countgunthar at hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: [Ansteorra] folklore and wive's tales: fact or fallacy
>>Please pardon the intrusion, but I received an email today that my gut
>>tells me is full of misconceptions and inaccuracies.
>Yes...yes it is.

This is based on material that was originally sent out (by a SCAdian in
fact) as a practical joke years ago.  It wasn't really funny then, and to my
mind it gets less so every time it shows up.  There are websites set up to
debunk these lies, and others set up just to spread them even further.

http://www.snopes2.com/language/phrases/1500.htm
http://historymedren.about.com/library/weekly/aa042202b.htm

Educating people about history is hard enough without actually having to
combat intentional lies and misinformation presented as "fact".

The truth is our obigation to the dead.  Those who have gone before us,
whose lives, cultures and histories we've co-opted for our entertainment
deserve more than this.

Marc/Diarmaid