[Ansteorra] Kingdom award insignia needed

Kimberly Koch sarapenrose at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 09:29:14 PDT 2005

Greetings, Ansteorra!

As you may know, the kingdom relies on generous
donations from the populace in order to maintain a
steady supply of award insignia. We are currently in
need of the following insignia:

Star of Merit ribbons
Centurion ribbons
Golden Lance ribbons
King's Archer cords
Sable Talon medallions
Sable Crane medallions
Sable Thistle medallions
Sable Comet medallions

Plain, flat-topped Court Barony coronets

We have NO Talons or Lances at all, so it's those
insignia we need most urgently.

The document found at this url contains pictures or
descriptions of most of the award insignia:
http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/docs/AwardTexts1999.pdf

Not included in this document are:

Centurion ribbon: Or edged gules charged with a sable
Ansteorran Star (a yellow ribbon with red edges and a
10-pointed star on one end)

Golden Lance ribbon: Sable edged Or charged with a
lance Or (a black ribbon with yellow edges and a
yellow lance on one end)

Sable Talon medallion: (Fieldless) An eagle's leg
erased à la quise sable. This badge is similar to the
one for the Optio (now closed), which is pictured on
this website:

http://www.ansteorra.org/heraldry/honors/closed/optio/index.php

The badge for the Talon should be as pictured at the
URL above, but the eagle's leg should be black, and
there should be NO border. Because the badge is
fieldless, the background could be or (yellow/gold),
argent (white/silver), or perhaps left the natural
color of the medallion (wood, metal, leather, etc.)

On a related note, I've noticed that there are a few
common mistakes in the award insignia we receive that
make the pieces unusable or that require someone to do
a lot of additional work before they can be used.
There are a few simple things you can do to help
prevent this:

- Make sure the heads of Comets are on the RIGHT
- Make sure Cranes face LEFT
- Make sure all Ansteorran Stars have TEN points, not
five
- Make sure Iris ribbons have the following SIX
colors, in this order: red, orange, yellow, green,
blue, violet. Do NOT include indigo.
- Make sure that Centurion and Star ribbons have
10-pointed Ansteorran Stars embroidered on the end and
that Golden Lances have a lance embroidered on the
end. If you aren't comfortable doing the embroidery
yourself, team up with someone in your local group to
complete the insignia properly.
- Make sure the holes in medallions are large enough
to thread a ribbon or cord through.
- Finish off all garter-type insignia (Stars,
Centurions, Lances) with a d-ring so they can be
fastened properly.
- Finish off Irises with a ring or by sewing the
ribbon into a loop.
- Make sure all ribbon insignia are long enough to be
worn around the shoulder (for Irises) or the arm or
calf (for all others), and that cords for medallions
are long enough to be slipped over the recipient's
head.

Any donations of insignia are very much appreciated!
You can give completed insignia to me, TRM Jason and
Saereid, Master Modius, or any member of the royal
entourage. If you have any questions at all, please
feel free to contact me.

In service,
Countess Sara Penrose
Sable Scroll