[Ansteorra] cute & fun vs. historically accurate

Darlene Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Tue Jul 12 10:23:53 PDT 2005

Another person wrote:
> if we're trying to re-create history, then using actual historical terms
> instead of something cutesy and made-up makes more sense.

*WHY* can't we have *both*????  Why can't we be both "cute and fun" and also "historically accurate"?????  *Why* do these things seemingly are instantaneously mutually exclusive???

There is nothing wrong with "troll", "autocrat", "feastocrat", "nastycrat". They are *fun* and a vital part of the SCA. If you don't like "troll", I suggest respectfully that you don't use it. I also suggest respectfully that you *don't fuss* at those who might choose to do so. If the offending word "troll" reaches your ears, I suggest you very quickly mentally subsitute the word "gate"  so that is all you hear before your sense of propriety becomes outraged. :-)

It works quite well for me when I hear words around the list field such as "My computer has a 120 gig hard-drive" or "I got these neat light-up flip-flops at Wal-mart for only 5 bucks." Now, I grant you that these sometimes become a challenge to mentally flip into a more period form of conversation. When you think about it, a single word like "troll" becomes quite simple to mentally change when stacked up to entire conversations which might last for an hour at a time. Some folks might take it upon themselves to try to "instruct" (re. fuss) these folks in a more period form of conversation. If it becomes too much of a challenge for me to convert the conversation, I simply remove myself from the area and/or become selectively deaf for a while. This latter talent is a great one to cultivate. It saves you much stress, keeps people from thinking of you in less than flattering terms if you take it upon yourself to try to correct them and increases your enjoyment of the event.

Hmmmm..."troll" to "gate" or "light up flip-flops" to "new turn shoes found from the cobbler on Hay Street in the market of London"....I think I'll take the first.
Annes