[Ansteorra] re: Nasty-crat

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 12 16:46:04 PDT 2005

>From: "Jay Yeates" <jyeates at realtime.net>
>* ... As an aside, it's interesting that this gets slapped with the label
>of
>'political correctness', which seems to be flung about whenever someone
>objects to a term.    The problem of course is that political correctness
>has to do with offense, and very few of these terms are "offensive".
>not surprising .. at it's heart, it's a social issue of the modern age -
>"fill-in-blank (political, period, pagan .. so many p's) correctness" is
>often simply offense taken by a individual or minority about something
>(often trivial in nature) who then attempt to impose their personal
>indignation on the majority who either are content with the issues status
>quo or who could really care less about it ... often best filed under "much
>ado about nothing"
>
>amazing how many times has this same thing come up over the years
>(observing
>it for a good 31+ years and counting) ... again, again, again - on so many
>similar (and trivial) matters????.  seems the more complex the game
>evolves.
>the more social conflict about the details ...

My point was that the people who label such changes as being PC tend to be
the only ones who seemed to be offended by such things.  I for one am not
offended by the old terms - frequently annoyed and sometimes appalled, but
not offended :)

Obviously if the topic keeps coming up, even after all these long years,
then perhaps it has -some- meaning to someone, if not for you.

Marc/Diarmaid