[Ansteorra] Authenticity Police

Gerita/Carolle Cox hpockets at verizon.net
Wed Jul 13 06:46:08 PDT 2005

Some of us have been 'blessed' with encounters with these individuals.
When I teach garb-construction, I offer students the following diatribe:

"The guidelines in the SCA are simply to appear in a reasonable
facsimile of pre-17th Century attire.  Since those guidelines were
written, much archeological and other evidence has shown us a great deal
more about how those garments were constructed. I will show you the
correct way to put the pieces together, but if you'd rather take one of
the shortcuts I will also show you, then please don't feel that I'll get
upset - I expect the best authenticity possible from ME.  You get to
make your own choice."

A friend was introduced to a Laurel for the sole purpose of being made
to show said Laurel a (somewhat un-Period) garment she'd made that also
contained embroidery of an astonishing beauty. The Laurel spent her time
criticizing the shape and machine (horrors) sewing of seams and hem.
Her final remark was "next time, do better!".  You cannot tell me this
was a kind or reasonable way to approach a relative newbie (a few
months' play).  That garment, by the way, will appear at Steppes
Artisan.  Come see it, but bring sunglasses.  The embroidery will dazzle
you!

Gerita

DFWchinlovers at yahoogroups.com
www.japanesechinrescue.org
http://carollesknitting.blogspot.com

People are like stained glass windows.  They sparkle and shine when the
sun is out, but when darkness sets in, their beauty is revealed only if
there is a light from within. -- Elizabeth Kübler-Ross