[Ansteorra] the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Bethany Burke damsle_n_distress2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 07:41:37 PDT 2005

If the authenticity police really want things accurate well does anyone have documentation on WATERBEARING?  Ooh and what about how we choose King, didn't you either have to be born into it or take it by force?  Who has the documentation on a six month reign and a crown tournament?  I agree with Captain Black.  Who cares if where you pay your money is called gate or troll.  Who cares if you are the autocrat or the event steward.  If you do, call others what you feel is appropriate and give yourself the correct title.  I use the terms that were taught to me by longer time players.  I found out about the nasty crat title by being one.  I took no offense to it, it can be a very nasty job.  If you want to change it around, do so, but don't expect others to immediately follow your lead.  Maybe they will, maybe they wont.  Our shire has a golden plunger baldric for who ever is nastycrat.  I think though for my event July 22nd -24th at Lake Sweetwater Park(little plugs never hurt) I will
 use Lord/Lady of the Lou.  I like it.  I will still be the Autocrat, but you can call me the Event Steward if you want to.  I have a Co-Autocrat who could actually be better termed as "Slave" but I'm not sure she would appreciate that title.  And we will have, "Good gentles braving the battle to make sure all who are fighting have water to drink, taking no side.  Offering not only to friends, but to enimies out to slaughter their kinsmen.  These souls persue the hydration of others inspite of the swords crashing around them and the danger to themselves."  Thank you for allowing me to rant on this topic via the VERY unperiod format of email which I believe is referred to as "Virtual Scribe".

Lady Elizabeth Blackthorne
Autocrat/Event Steward of Sundered Shield VI

george basore <murray_kinsman at yahoo.com> wrote:
"The time has come", the walrus said, "to speak of
many things, of accuracy and authenticity, of misery
and plague."
Ok, everybody out of the pool! This has degenerated
down to an argument over what who thought the Dream
was in the beggining.
Was it intended to be critically acurate in
depicting life in medieval times? If so, where did the
line ,"life in the middle ages, as it should have
been"
come from, can you tell me that?
Ok, let's take your notion and apply it fully.
NO electricity
NO running water
NO indoor plumbing
NO way to make ice to preserve food
NO propane gas appliences
NO coffee OR tea
NO concept of sanitation

Are y'all starting to see where this is going?
Obviously, we made some allowances for modern comfort
along the way. So now we are going to get into a
dither over WORDS? Over whether or not some
hypothetical Mundane might be offended? Let me say
this now, any Mundane that comes to an event, and is
offended by the use of the word "TROLL" came to the
event LOOKING for an excuse to be offended!
I am not going to go out of my way to insult or
offend anyone, but I'm not going to break my back
trying NOT to offend them either. I WILL behave
chivalrously towards all, and treat no one better or
worse than anyone else, until and unless an individual
goes out of their way to offend me.

You see, the "authenticity police" don't care about
authenticity, that is just an excuse to get you to do
things their way. The issue is CONTROL, they are
control freeks! This whole HOORAH is an excuse to
make others bend to their will.

I have a piece of advice for all "authenticity
police". Do NOT expect to win if you enter MY camp.

Ship's Captain "Black" Robert Haddock
Incipient Canton of River's Run