[Ansteorra] old examples (grin)

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 13 07:57:58 PDT 2005

>Message: 8
>Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:46:08 -0500
>From: "Gerita/Carolle Cox" <hpockets at verizon.net>
>

>A friend was introduced to a Laurel for the sole purpose of being made
>to show said Laurel a (somewhat un-Period) garment she'd made that also
>contained embroidery of an astonishing beauty. The Laurel spent her time
>criticizing the shape and machine (horrors) sewing of seams and hem.
>Her final remark was "next time, do better!".  You cannot tell me this
>was a kind or reasonable way to approach a relative newbie (a few
>months' play).  That garment, by the way, will appear at Steppes
>Artisan.  Come see it, but bring sunglasses.  The embroidery will dazzle
>you!
>
>Gerita

Not to throw a rock at you Gerita

There are some Laurels who do this.  If you look at their basic
personalities they do it in other areas besides the SCA.  I don't mind them
though they are annoying because not all Laurels (in fact most of them)
don't do this.....  How come this old horse gets trotted out to be beaten
on a regular basis.  There are many, many Laurels who don't do
this.  Laurels who try to be helpful, thoughtful and nice.  No one brings
up examples of them so the notion that Laurels are normally bitchy people
who say rude things about beginners, crushing their spirits, driving them
away from the SCA and hurting their feelings are continued.

By all means, do say the stories if you want to prove a point  but try to
also include a story about the nice one who sat down for a hour and talked
about the person's good points.  Or found them places to learn how to do it
correctly, or introduced them to people who could help them.  Or are
generally nice people who also happen to be Laurels.

Often, the list goes on for quite awhile talking about negatives.... it's
easy to complain.  I'd love to see us go on forever about someone's skills
or the nice Laurel's in the Kingdom who do a lot of work.

It isn't you Gerita, please understand.  It's that fact that the same
negative stories continue based on the actions of one or two people
promoting the idea that nothing changes  and it's hopeless to try to change it.

Regards,

Clare