[Ansteorra] Re: the Attack of the "Authenticity Police" (ScottBarrett)

Ronda Roberts rivyn at msn.com
Wed Jul 13 10:14:40 PDT 2005

<< I've run into a few who seem to want to let you know that they don't
think this or that is period.  Do they believe it to be their function?
No.  That's just a label we give them for their griping. >>

Unfortunately, in Atlantia, in my first year of the SCA I ran into what we
referred to there as 'period nazis' who at the time made me want to leave
the SCA altogether.  I was at the Sapphire Joust in Richmond, Virginia and
they sneered, I mean literally sneered at me and made fun of me, talking to
me as if I were a kindergartner who needed something explained to them as if
they were 'special', trying to tell me my gown wasn't period when after my
own research I found that it was.........well needless to say I was in tears
over it.  When I had told the others in my Canton about it they told me to
just ignore them and let it roll like water off a ducks back and forget
about it.  So I did.

This may seem dishonorable in a way, but the way I feel about this whole
thing now is that this is *my* persona, not theirs and that I would play the
persona according to how *I* perceive it and if they didn't like it, they
could bite me.  :-)  Another time I ran into these types of people making
fun of me.  They had actually laughed at me to my face.  Then  I had said,
"I am sure you are in period, after all they had Fools back then as well.
Have a nice day."  After which I did apologize for I felt awful in having
said it.  Now I just keep my mouth shut, turn around and walk away.

In Service to the Dream,
Muriel filia Donaldi de Skia

How many Laurels does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

None!  Lightbulbs aren't