[Ansteorra] the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Lady Einin Ciarnait little_dragon_0861 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 15:33:42 PDT 2005

Again...as I said, the name Pirate wasn't used, altho  piracy was a well known practice. And again, my comments regarding the "self styled" SCA pirates are the ones who want to dress like Johnny Depp in POTC, and who never considered the "pirate " persona, until after the movie came out.

In a way, it reminds me of the belly dancers, who think that belly dancing is what they do at stag parties ( the "hollywood style bellydancers, who use it as an excuse to strip)

BEFORE I get a bunch of furious email...I am not putting down SCA Belly Dancers...for the majority they dance "tribal" and other true to period styles...lets just say I know quite a few who go to ren faire looking like something u would expect to see in a strip bar:)

I also know numerous SCA Belly or Tribal dancers who go to great lengths to research their dance style and manner of dress...and who would not wear a revealing  outfit, because the clothing was quite modest...which made the form of dance that much more erotic.

But I honestly believe...as I stated earlier, that you can't make everyone happy. Someone will find something to complain about, whether it is the cut off point for what we consider to be period, the armature(sp) someone decides to use...after all look at the fact that they outlawed Shinai...the terms we use for what we do...examples of "smalls" for children...and boffers...which yes has a horrible modern connotation or the people or sites we choose for events...even down to how the King and Queen are chosen, and how they are Crowned ( I was surprised to learn that the King here Crowns himself...in Caid the King who is stepping down  Crowns his successor.)

This whole hulabloo began with a question of the titles we use for events and like so many things truly got off on a tangent. And for the most part , the question is moot. Why complain about whether someone is called  auto-crat, or event Steward...when all of the awards, from Kingdom level down to local are made up anyway? And Since when does a King become a Count or Duke? And ( as it was in the early years ( this is just a question btw, out of curiosity) are the Members of the Chivalry still expected to be able to dance, and play chess and participate in the arts? ( I know of a couple of  Knights who don't know their left foot from their right...or at the very least , have two left feet and can't dance :) )

OK...adding my soapbox to the bonfire as well
Einin