[Ansteorra] don't whine, fix it

Stephanie S Smith, Ph.D. lambdakennels1 at juno.com
Wed Jul 13 18:41:53 PDT 2005

I have gotten over A.D. messages over the last two days about complaints
with names, people, policies, and period police.  From a newcomer's
perspective, this gives a very negative impression:  not only are things
going to hell in a hand basket, but nobody wants to do anything about it
but whine.  Don't whine, fix it.  If you see or hear of a Laurel dressing
down someone for not being period, get another peer to speak to them
about not being hospitable and doing their jobs:  to encourage and teach
people about life in the medieval ages.  No one should be made to feel
"bad" or "wrong" because they don't know better.

That said, if someone persistently teaches something that is wrong, or
insists on setting a bad example, steps should be taken to put a stop to
it.  At King's College, all of the classes I went to were beautifully
taught with good handouts, except one.  This woman may have known what
she was doing, although it seems doubtful, but she could not convey that
knowledge to anyone in the room.  No one left that room with any correct
knowledge of how to do the thing she was supposed to be teaching.  And
yet, there was no mechanism to rate this person so she didn't inflict
herself on other classrooms full of people.

Perhaps each event should hand out an evaluation at check in to be filled
out and deposited in a box on the way out of the event.  You won't get
them all back this way, but you will definitely get a bunch back if
something is seriously screwed up, or seriously wonderful.  I have
training in program evaluation and putting together and analyzing
consumer satisfaction surveys.  I am perfectly willing to help set up a
system of evaluation forms for fighting events, colleges, artisan fairs,
etc. that people can use, then turn in with their event report.  I am
also willing to be the one who compiles the results and writes them into
a report to go to the kingdom event coordinator with a copy to the
seneschal of the group holding the event, college, etc.

Do something to fix what you don't like.  Don't just whine.

Stephanie Lilburn
aka Stephanie Smith, Ph.D.
lambdakennels1 at juno.com
Wolfe City, Texas 75496
K5AMK
Owned by a Standard Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog