[Ansteorra] Period Wheelchairs

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 10:50:14 PDT 2005

Having sat in a wheelchair off and on for several years, I totally
understand what you are saying. It's already no fun to have a crotch eye
view of the world, and even worse for someone to ridicule your only means of
getting around. What does she expect you to do?  Crawl around on the floor?

I just tried to laugh off the insensitive remarks and call it a byzantine
invention. After all, they had a throne chair that would rise up out of the
floor - why not a wheeled chair? At one Gulf War, when I used a motorized
scooter, friends gave me a stick horse, which I then decorated with pearls
and jewels, as befitted any horse of mine:)

And yet, another instance of an ignorant person who never took the time to
do any research. I went to my bookshelves and found a picture of a chair
(1595) designed for King Philip II of Spain. I went on Google and entered
"History of Wheelchairs" and found this page:
http://www.wheelchairnet.org/WCN_WCU/SlideLectures/Sawatzky/WC_history.html
which includes the picture of Philip's laz-y-boy with wheels.

So there....research can be fun!

Xene