[Ansteorra] mobility issues

Stephanie S Smith, Ph.D. lambdakennels1 at juno.com
Thu Jul 14 15:51:25 PDT 2005

Service animals.  I saw an ad in the Black Star that stated "no pets
except service animals with id".  First, service animals, while well
loved members of the family, are not pets.  They are service animals.
Second, federal law prohibits asking someone for id for their service
animal.  You are only allowed to ask, "Is that a service animal?"  If the
answer is yes, you must allow the animal in.  There is no other choice.
Now, if the animal is destructive or aggressive, you may ask them to
leave.  Otherwise, the animal has the right to be everywhere the human is
authorized to be, including showers and bathrooms.

I also have problems because I have so called "invisible disabilities"
and am relatively young, and people say nasty things about me parking in
disabled parking or using services for the disabled.  Just because
someone doesn't use a visible assistance device doesn't mean they are not
disabled.  Also, as a "landed gentry" person, the best campsites go to
the peers, meaning I usually have to walk a long way to things.

Stephanie Lilburn
akaStephanie Smith, Ph.D.
lambdakennels1 at juno.com
Wolfe City, Texas 75496
K5AMK
Owned by a Standard Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog