[Ansteorra] mobility issues

Cam Battaglia momma_cammie at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 16:29:36 PDT 2005

Although I do not have a mobility problem myself, this is a subject that I
have tried point out recently as well.  Here in Bordermarch we have a Castle
where generally both morning and evening Court are held.  While this is
beautiful back-drop for court, and adds much to the ambiance, having both
morning and evening court "down the hill at the castle" and then having to
traipse back up the hill to visit Merchants or attend Feast or even go to
the Privy or your own camp can be something of an ordeal (unless you drive
your car back and forth).  This presents some problems for:

* SCAdians who have bad knees or bad backs, or have hurt themselves on the
field
* SCAdians who have to utilize canes, crutches or wheelchairs.
* SCAdians who also have breathing problems (asthma, emphysema, severe
allergies, etc.)
* SCAdians with small children and no built-in entourage to help with them

I have also noticed that at some of the sites it is not easy to access areas
that you might be interested in due to the condition of the ground that you
have to cover.  This could be simply the presence of all of the limbs/pine
cones/rocks/hidden holes/etc.  A bit more care with choosing the locations
for Merchants Row, the Feast Hall, the Hafla, and even some of the fighting
might be appreciated far more than adding more "ambiance" to an event.

Just my 2 cents,
Ly. Katrina Alyse Argo
a.k.a. Momma Cammie