[Ansteorra] mobility issues

Lady Einin Ciarnait little_dragon_0861 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 16:54:43 PDT 2005

Personally for me the big issues are as follows
1) More parking  close in for us...even if they are not the "designated" handicapped parking, since those do fill quickly, set aside more parking spots close in.
2) Not having to camp way out in the boonies...for those with disabilities, again setting aside camping closer to the activities would help.
3) More of the " disabled privies"...when I am having a bad day, even the small step up into the privie is difficult...and the grab bars a a major help when standing and/sitting.

Having  a disability myself, I am , of course, more aware than people without difficulties but as so many of our members are hitting the "over 50" mark, and beginning to feel the years of fighting...or just plain age, infirmities etc...maybe we need to take a better look around to see how we can help.

I actually had someone make a comment one time ...not realizing I assume that I could hear them, about how as the Autocrat for the event, it was horrible that I wasn't lifting, carrying and helping to set up pavillions.
My Lord heard them and set them straight...I am not " allowed " to lift etc...nor am I supposed to kneel...and have been chewed out by Royals for doing so :)

Lady Einin

Charlene Charette <perronnelle at earthlink.net> wrote:
Lady Einin Ciarnait wrote:
> Unfortunatley, mobility is a big issue for many of us out there, and one of the problems with a lot of event stewars, autocrats or what ever you may wish to call them , is that they don't take this into consideration. The Baroness of Dun Or and several others of us there either have to use wheelchairs at larger events, or the little motorized scooters...and I have heard several really rude comments about it.

In an effort to educate well-meaning but unknowing event stewards, what
issues would those with mobility problems like to see addressed at events?

--Perronnelle

--
America is addicted to wars of distraction. -- Barbara Ehrenreich