[Ansteorra] mobility issues

Cairenn Day cpenny at swbell.net
Thu Jul 14 20:08:49 PDT 2005

I have very bad knees, although, I can walk, I can't walk very far. This
has reduced what I'm able to do at events. I will tend to stay close to
my merchant set up, because I can't walk any further. By the time, I
unload and set up what I have to, my knees have had it.  One of the
reasons that I haven't went to Gulf Wars, the last few years, is I can't
get around.  There was a comment earlier about how great a truly period
event, would be. This is one of the reasons. There are a lot of us that
have various health problems, mobility, asthma and others. A primitive
type site, doesn't have a lot of things that we need.  A period event, a
great idea, for a few folks, but there are a lot of us, that would not
have survived in period. We need electricity for wheelchairs and
breathing machines, enough light, that older eyes can see to get
around.  Some need to wear special shoes for bad ankles and knees.  We
can create a period feel, that is all. What some will find obtrusive,
others won't mind. I can ignore a lot of costuming problems, but give
me a baked potato at a feast and I feel like I'm at a steakhouse.  There
are a lot of period items, like those wonderful period pavilions, that I
would love to have, if I had a larger car and folks to put them up for
me. I can't afford the car, the gas for it, and I travel by myself, most
ot the time. I do good to get a nylon earth pimple pitched and my Ez Up
up. There are events that I don't even consider going to, because I'm
treated like a second class citizen, because I don't have those things.
By the way, treating some of the folks like, they don't count, is very
period. The SCA is the middle ages as it should have been, no serfs, at
least some modern conveniences.  Think about it folks, I can have my
mood ruined more by people pointing out the non period stuff.  I don't
know how many times, that I had not noticed that there were cars, within
view, until a herald announced that they had to be moved.  Now they are
very noticeable and the 'period' mood of proper costumes, names  and
everything else is gone.  Just my two cents worth.

Cairenn