[Ansteorra] mobility issues and the law

Baronman at aol.com Baronman at aol.com
Fri Jul 15 07:15:21 PDT 2005

One overlooked fact no one has mentioned is that here in 21st century USA,
there is a law- ADA (Americans with Disability Act) that regulates and controls
 everything from our architecture -- accessibility ramps, sidewalks, how
wide the doors are -- to the parking of a car-disability parking reserved  space.
In our wonderful game that we play, we go back to what ever time period  is
appropriate for our persona and try to recreated that time period to the best
of our ability-BUT-we still are subject to modern laws. No rape, pillage or
plundering allowed.  If we are not careful, and I am not certain about the
legal ramifications here (Alexis-help) we might get our corporate tails in hot
water if we don't consider the limitations of the disabled at our events.
My personal thoughts is that the SCA is open to ALL and ALL have the right
to enjoy ALL aspects of our wonderful organization.  It pains me to have
someone write that they have to consider what events they can go to based upon
accessibility to the site.  I believe this is legally and morally  wrong.
Granted-not all sites are the nicest or the most convenient and not  all events have
disabled people in attendance but I think with all of our  resources a way
can be found to accommodate everyone.  If a person is  disabled, I feel that
person should contact the event steward and arrange  accommodations in advance
and the event steward might appoint a coordinator to  provide accommodations for
that person be it parking, luggage transportation,  porta lounge or feast
sitting.  The disabled person would then know that  the event will be friendly
for them and enjoy it.  They must also realize  that if they take advantage of
the accommodations they might not be able to camp  or feast with the 20 members
of their household- I just can't think of a way for  both to happen unless
the household modifies their plan to incorporate their  disabled member. Plans
can bechanged to accomodate ALL.  I still remember  an event wher the squires
went and carried a porta potty almost 175 yards to a  different location
because the Queen casually commented on the long distance it  was to the closest one
from her tent- the resources are there, we just need to  use them.
We have a great Kingdom
We have a great Crown
We have a great populace
We welcome ALL to enjoy it.

Baron Bors of Lothian
Baron Lock Soillier
Squire to Sir Rurik
Sad that he can't play as much as he used to.