[Ansteorra] Um...should I buy an armband?

Lady Einin Ciarnait little_dragon_0861 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 07:54:27 PDT 2005

<<<<snip>>>>

But I also think there is a difference between the PN and someone
who is sharing a passion. Yeah, I like period foods at events. My
earliest memory of the SCA was a demo I attended as a curious
mundane. I was impressed that one family had taken a lunch
break and was eating cheese, fruits, bread and roasted chicken.
It wasn't something set out for the crowd, but a private lunch.
Even then they were getting the feel of it and it impressed me
more than the fighting.

Since I got converted to the "period food really doesn't suck"
crowd I've tried to make changes in how people percieve it. Not
by sneering at a feast of all modern stuff (I do admit to sometimes
sadly shaking my head) but by sharing how that modern stuff
could be converted to at least peri-oid. The same with the tavern
suggestions. I'm not telling them to only sell meat pies and lech
lombard. But ways to make things kind of cooler with the
facilities they are already using.

The difference between PN's and enthusiasts are the enthusiasts
are happy to help you get to the place they think you should be.
Not the person who sniffs at you and tells you that t-tunic is the
wrong material and you need to get proper garb, but the person
who says this material is just as cheap as that polyester and is period
and more comfortable. Or invites you over to show you how to make
better garb. Or gives you an old piece of period garb. Someone who
inspires rather than discourages.>>>>>>

And there you have a perfect description of what the SCA is about...encouraging people to TRY to be authentic...and helping them rather than putting them down for it when they are not.

I am an enthusiast...I wish I could afford all of the nice things to be more period...but I can't. I do prefer my food to be period style...but if we go to an event at the last minute and have sandwiches, I would prefer not to have someone  be rude about it. One of the things that I personally hate, is going to a potluck feast ...and no I am not referring to populace meetings...but things such as Yule "feasts ( again back in Caid...sorry folks but this is my comparison at this point in time as I have not been to any real events here as of yet) and having someone bring Kentucky fried chicken as their contribution....to me that is not even a basic attempt to stay in theme. We also had someone  bring food from taco bell to  this same "feast".

Einin