How things change... was [Ansteorra] Traditions

Melissa Baxter mbaxter66 at satx.rr.com
Fri Jul 15 08:07:04 PDT 2005

After about 200 emails this list has accomplished what my family, friends
and employers haven't been able to do, turn my brain to mush.  Everything
has been posted from reasons to change and reasons to keep with tradition
(what exactly tradition is or isn’t and who thinks what traditions are worth
keeping or sending along the way).  I was going to let the original thread
and all of its spawn go by without response (except for venting to my dear
hubby), but for some reason, this one got me.  (I still have almost 30
emails left, so I apologize if someone else already posted this info.)

I went to www.dictionary.com and looked up the word boff.  Here is what was
listed.  (Please note the original meaning of the word.)

2 entries found for boff.
boff2   Audio pronunciation of "boff" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (bf) Vulgar
Slang
v. boffed, boff·ing, boffs
v. tr.

    To have sexual intercourse with.

v. intr.

    To engage in sexual intercourse.

[From boff, to hit, variant of buff, from Middle English buffe, a blow, from
Old French, of imitative origin.]

I'm assuming this is also where "rebuff" would come from, and I've been
seeing much of that on the list for the past couple of days.  ("Let's agree
to disagree... No, I must make my point and drive it into the ground!")

re·buff   Audio pronunciation of "rebuff" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (r-bf)
n.

   1. A blunt or abrupt repulse or refusal, as to an offer.
   2. A check or an abrupt setback to progress or action.

tr.v. re·buffed, re·buff·ing, re·buffs

   1. To reject bluntly, often disdainfully; snub. See Synonyms at refuse1.
   2. To repel or drive back.

[From obsolete French rebuffer, to reject, from Italian ribuffare, from
ribuffo, reprimand  : ri-, back (from Latin re-. See re-) + buffo, gust,
puff (of imitative origin).]

Therefore, a "boffer" would be someone who hits or gives a blow?  Here is a
word being used in the SCA in its medieval context.  Sometimes words have
more than one meaning and need to be reviewed before picking the most common
or appropriate definition.

Just something to think about when arguing over semantics.

Branwen le Baxtere
(Who really needs more caffeine)