[Ansteorra] mobility issues ( long, sorry)

ladydeirdre at sbcglobal.net ladydeirdre at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 15 18:59:42 PDT 2005

My mother, either from the stem-cell transplant for her leukemia or from the
diabetes caused by the stem-cell transplant anti-rejection medications, has
developed neuropathy in her left leg - the ankle will just collapse from
under her and she is on the ground, bruised, scraped up, and nearly broken.
She wears the leg brace when she can, but it causes so much swelling and
other pain, its a toss-up which is worse - falling or the brace. Between
that and her glucose going from 300 to 60 in minutes, she does not need to
be alone.
She tore herself up over the decision whether or not to get the handicap
placard for her car, because she does not consider herself 'handicapped' and
shouldn't be parking there. My father, sisters and I had to bully her into
it because we see what walking has done for her lately.  Quite frankly, she
only uses it when she's wearing the brace, because that's when she's in the
most pain.
Not everyone's 'handicap' is as visible as others' are. And some people may
not consider one person's disability handicap-worthy, but only 2 people are
really the judge of that - the disabled person and their physician.

Course, I think any woman in her 3rd trimester of pregnancy should be
allowed to park in the handicapped spaces. at least until after she
delivers.

Deirdre