[Ansteorra] the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 07:22:44 PDT 2005

Black Robert Haddock said:
>   You see, the "authenticity police" don't care about
>authenticity, that is just an excuse to get you to do
>things their way.  The issue is CONTROL, they are
>control freeks!  This whole HOORAH is an excuse to
>make others bend to their will.

And if you cart that out to the homefield my thralls will use it to manure
the hay.

People bitch all the time about the so-called "Authenticity Police".  I've
run down reports of AP sightings, always to find that it's usually one
fairly uninformed person being a bossy boots.  So what?  The SCA has a full
quota of jerks, who tend to be jerks in various types of ways... the ones
who are actively harmful we talk to and try to persuade to better behavior,
the others we stay away from.  It's no different than the larger society of
the world as a whole.  Many times these jerks, with a little pressure from
folks around them, catch a clue and act better later.

The SCA's governing documents *DO* require an attempt at pre-16th c.:

Corpora II.A. says in part: "The term 'Society event' refers to tournaments,
feasts, and other activities whereby participants can display the results of
their researches into the culture and technology of the period in an
environment which evokes the atmosphere of the pre-17th century European
Middle Ages and Renaissance."

Corpora II.B.: "Anyone may attend Society events provided he or she wears an
attempt at pre-17th century clothing, conforms to the provisions in Corpora,
and complies with any other requirements (such as site fees or waivers)
which may be imposed. At business meetings and informal classes, the
requirement to wear pre-17th century dress may be waived. All participants
are expected to behave as ladies or gentlemen."

Someone who *knowingly* uses a modern or non-period "cutesy" term for things
like the place where entrance fees are paid, or toilet facilities, and so
forth -- when they've had better, more period options suggested to them --
is (in my opinion) making zero effort to "evoke the atmosphere of the
pre-17th century European Middle Ages and Renaissance."  Instead, they're
making a darned good effort to evoke the atmosphere of the average science
fiction convention.

I'm not likely to jump down someone's throat for being conspicuously cutesy
instead of trying for some authenticity... my persona filter gets to it and
sees the person as a madman, or perhaps a thrall who has been out in the sun
too long while forking composted pig manure.  And if that's the way you want
Gunnvor to perceive you, tell her all about the "Troll".

If authenticity is unimportant to us, why is the Lion of Ansteorra so
revered?  Why does a single award that coveys NO precedence have so much
cachet?  Ask yourself that.  When you come upon people telling stories about
memorable and cool things that happened at past events, notice how many of
the times the central figures in such stories are Lions of Ansteorra, and
ask yourself why *these* are the stories people love and remember and tell.
It says something more clearly about what is truly valued than all the
Corpora rules there are.

::GUNNVOR::