[Ansteorra] Names / Titles was the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 13 08:29:58 PDT 2005

--- digigirl <digigirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Question to all - where did this topic begin?
>
> Did someone request or demand that everyone change how things are called?
>
> If so, was there something that prompted that request?
>
> I think I came into the conversation in the middle and cannot tell.
>
> Ceinwen

I'll "take the hit" for this one, Ceinwen. Someone posted that they were
looking forward to an upcoming event, and used the terms "auto-crat" [sic]
and "feast-o-crat" [sic]. I replied, short and sweet: "What's wrong with
'event steward' and 'head cook'? ;-)"

That was all I said, word for word. And I included the requisite smiley, to
show that I meant no offense and hoped that none would be taken.

Then, as often happens on this and other chat lists, the thread took off on
its own with a lift-thrust value rivaling the space shuttle. I've followed it
with interest -- and occasional amazement at the vehemence with which some
folks have voiced their opinions on what seemed to me like a relatively
benign topic. And how quickly that horse subsequently ran to familiar
pastures (to choose a different metaphor).

[Yeah, I know. I've "been there, done that" myself. There are few things more
annoying than a reformed <whatever>. :-P ]

This is obviously a Very Hot Topic(tm) for some, which needed very little in
the way of an "ignition source" to set it off.

But this whole exercise raises an important point. When you see something
significantly deviating from our stated objectives as a Society (such as
showing up to an event in a Wookie costume, or using made-up "cute" terms
like "small" when perfectly good, period words like "child" would do), do
you:
a) say something, knowing there's an excellent chance that there will be a
storm of controversy to follow
b) remain quiet, do your best to ignore the Wookie, and thus avoid the
controversy -- but also do no service to the person in the Wookie suit who
presumably doesn't know any better

We each have to decide for ourselves on each occasion. That time, I picked
choice "a)". There was a storm afterwards. What a surprise. ;-)

Michael