[Ansteorra] old examples (grin)

Cairenn Day cpenny at swbell.net
Wed Jul 13 11:24:50 PDT 2005

"Why does this keep getting trotted out", when a lot of Laurels are
helpful, not condemning', for the same reason, that 'man bites dog' is
news and 'dog bites man', isn't. We tend to remember negatives, and the
negatives are more damaging. An artist, that refused to ever enter
another A&S competition, because, they were savaged.  That was loss to
all of us. Part of the problem, is artists, in general, tend to work by
their selves, they do not tend to develop as good interpersonal skills,
as some others. When you get two of them, trying to interact, there is
often a lot of misunderstanding, things are worded poorly, things are
taken in the wrong way, and the problem is off and running. I have been
on all sides of this, been misunderstood, and misunderstood others.
Also, there are some, artists, that feel because they know a lot in one
area, then they are experts in many.  Some of the same complaints, that
are voiced in the SCA, about Laurels, are heard in the mundane art
world, about some 'Artists'. And some of the statements are just as
stupid, one I remember, was, 'you violate the spirit of the clay, if you
use a heat gun, to speed up drying.'  The trouble is, these type of
things keep happening, decade in and decade out.  They are not isolated,
they are RARE.  What can we do about it? If we are asked about
something, find something good, about it to comment on first, make
suggestions, not declarations and warn folks, that sometimes we blurt
out what comes in our head, without thinking about it.  Trying to tell
folks it doesn't happen, is dumb, it does. We all need to be more
careful.

Cairenn