[Ansteorra] Names/Titles and Words

Lady Einin Ciarnait little_dragon_0861 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 11:58:27 PDT 2005

I agree with your statement, for the most part...an "outsider" probably will not understand. On the same note ( not sure about here) In Caid, the Chatelaines have what we call "Gold Key" where visitors may borrow garb for the day, and there is usually a pennant with a Gold Key on it to Identify the spot...so just like when pubs etc. were ID'd by a logo that was easily recognized...such is the case here.
( and how you met your hubby reminds me of meeting mine in archeology class...long story, but to make it quick...his dad was in the class also...I knew his dad, and to this day we joke about  having "dug up his dad the old fossil when we met:) )
Einin

Sandra Jakl <kieralady2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
There has certainly been "much ado" about this topic.

My only comment to add to the discussion, is that one
should be aware of who one's audience is. When driving
into site at 2 AM, asking someone where "troll" is may
be just fine...

But if one is at a public demonstration, amongst
adults who are interested in the SCA but don't know
any of the special SCA vocabulary, it would probably
be better to describe "gate" or "head cook" for the
purposes of clarity rather then "troll" or
"feastocrat". Some words and phrases are much more
intuitive in their meaning.

That has less to do with "political correctness" and
much more to do with clear and efficient
communication.

If the new trend to call the place where you sign in
and pay at an event became "The House of the Blue
Duck" then it might be entertaining to wander site at
2 AM looking for the "House of the Blue Duck". But if
I'm explaining to a non-SCAdian co-worker how I met my
husband working gate at Loch Guardian, I'll call it
"event registration".

Kind Regards,
Clara von Ulm
Per aspera ad astra!