[Ansteorra] the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Duncan MacNamara duncan_macnamara at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 13:04:39 PDT 2005

>Please note the word ATTEMPT in those documents...and if we are going to
>attack on that basis of pre 16th and pre 17th century...what about the
>people who wear cavalier and try to state they are "pirates"...privateers
>were somewhat period...well late period...but pirates were ..iff memory
>serves...18th centuryy and later.

>From several book sources, I have proven time and time again that piracy has
existed since man has travelled on water. The hollywood-esque pirate, yes,
ranges from approximately 1640 when the Buccaneers formed the "Brothers of
the Coast" until about 1807 or so (rough estimate) with the emergence of
steam-powered vessels. However, *my* persona for example was born in 1573 in
Ireland, forced out of his familys lands and ended up leaving the country
aboard a merchant vessel, which was later captured by.... drumroll...
privateers. Which all of us in the "trade" knows that one nations privateer
is another nation's pirate.

I'm sorry, but you'll have to do better than simple "pirates aren't period".
And I do *not* dress up as a cavalier.

Lord Duncan MacNamara
Captain of the 'Iron Lotus'
Commodore of the Allied Outlanders Fleet