[Ansteorra] was Traditions now "P" word

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at comcast.net
Wed Jul 13 13:10:45 PDT 2005

Oh, Boy, my favorite topic! PRINCIPALITIES!!!!

Especially with gas at $2.35 a gallon.....Grrrr.

How much *does* it cost to be Crown or Crown entourage nowadays - just in
gasoline alone? (Xene is standing back now, after stirring those political
bunnies).

Getting back to Authenticity and the other "P" word.....my first research
paper in the SCA was due to some woman in a polyester blend t-tunic telling
me that guitars weren't period. It made me want to prove that she was
wrong.....Which taught me that she didn't know what she was talking
about......and that led me down the terribly addictive road of studying
history and musical instruments, etc.

And my name wouldn't pass the heralds, darn them. Perhaps because I thought
that "Zarazina" from an old Sci-fi book sounded cool, then tried to reverse
document the name as byzantine because a friend told me that he thought it
sounded byzantine. It still didn't pass. I finally caved in and found a
cooler name - Xene - from tax roles in Thessaloniki. In fact, I ended up
writing a paper about Byzantine names.

Somewhere, in Bryn Gwlad, there are pictures of a very young (and very
slender) me in green tights and a green tunic, looking rather elvish. It
took me around 15 years in the SCA (and a lot of support and training from
my Laurel friends) to look like the Byzantine mosaics in Ravenna.

Now, I *are* a Laurel....and I've been told that I've berated a young lady
in a new costume for bopping up to me and showing off her finery - in the
bathroom at Canton, when I really needed to go...somewhere. I seem to recall
it in a very hazy, hot-day way, and the only think I remember is that I
suggested that she try linen and cotton next time instead of polyester.
Those fabrics are much cooler to wear. No offense was meant and I'd
apologize to her if I knew who she was. I thought she wanted help on her
costuming. I guess I should have read her mind and knew that she just wanted
me to tell her how pretty her dress was. And it was and I thought I told her
that. Now, I've been branded as an Period Nazi, which, to tell the truth, is
a very hurtful name.

As for Pirates? Well, the early Romans, the Greeks, and the later romans
(byzantines) had 'em.  The Moors had 'em.  The Irish had 'em in the 16th
century. Do some research and find the truth about pirates, of whatever time
period you chose that's pre-17th century. That's what the Middle Easterners
in the SCA had to do several years back. Teach classes on it.  Inform the
ignorant public (that includes me, BTW) about them. Tell stories around the
campfires about them, in true bardic fashion.

Educate us!

Xene
(previously known as Zarazeena, Xarazeena,Xaraxene, etc...)