[Ansteorra] was Traditions now "P" word

Lady Einin Ciarnait little_dragon_0861 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 13:46:52 PDT 2005

As for Pirates? Well, the early Romans, the Greeks, and the later romans
(byzantines) had 'em. The Moors had 'em. The Irish had 'em in the 16th
century. Do some research and find the truth about pirates, of whatever time
period you chose that's pre-17th century. That's what the Middle Easterners
in the SCA had to do several years back. Teach classes on it. Inform the
ignorant public (that includes me, BTW) about them. Tell stories around the
campfires about them, in true bardic fashion.

Educate us!

Xene
(previously known as Zarazeena, Xarazeena,Xaraxene, etc...)

OK again, my statement was misunderstood. As I said, the name"pirate" was not in use until much later...privateer was used, and before privateer, another name...but the name" pirate" came along with the Buccaneers.

My reference to "Pirates in Cavalier" was to one of the households in Caid who  ever since Pirates of the Carribean came out...all are "pirates"...and dress in cavalier "because the costumes are cool." ( One of them actually tries to dress like Johnny Depp in the movie)

and I am not referring to 14th century Dutch Cavalier...I am referring to French cavalier...which as we know, is OOP for the SCA. this same group feels that it should also be ok to wear the garb of  just prior to the american revolution:)

Again, not trying to cause an argument here:) I well understand that even if we set the limits to 19th century so that american revolution was included and cival war, since they like the clothes...you would then have those who want to push it cause they want to dress as  1920's flappers because they like those clothes...you just cant make everyone happy.

Einin