[Ansteorra] Early SCA history (was: the Attack of the "Authenticity Police")

Chris Zakes moondrgn at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 13 18:11:32 PDT 2005

At 11:09 AM 7/13/2005, you wrote:

(snip)

> >From what I've heard of the original founders of the SCA, it was more
>or less a costume party.  Didn't they wear buckets for helmets and
>use trash can lids for shields and fight with broomsticks?  Sounds
>kind of like they took the whole historical aspect lightly and just
>had fun pretending.

Well, yes. The First Tournament was originally intended to be a one-time
event--a going-away costume party, for a friend who was joining the Peac
Corps. But people had so much fun with the costuming, and the fighting and
such, that they decided to do it again. There wasn't any Grand Plan for how
things were going to develop, mostly it "just growed." Go look at the early
history  of the West Kingdom (history.westkingdom.org) to get an idea of
what things were like in the earliest days.

         -Tivar Moondragon