[Ansteorra] fire chariots and cameras

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 13 18:50:13 PDT 2005

On Jul 13, 2005, at 10:44 AM, Lady Einin Ciarnait wrote:
> Or fire chariots for vehicles that move without being drawn by
> cattle...

Uh, the period term for those is... "car". Although carriage is late
period and wagon or cart also work.

A chariot only has a single axle. Does your automobile only have a
single axle? Even if you let that by and use "chariot", why add the
unnecessary "fire" description? Are there some other animal drawn
chariots at the event which you want to differentiate yours from?

Oh, and to be a bit pedantic here, I don't know of any culture which
used cattle to pull their chariots. They tend to have been drawn by
horses since cattle/oxen are rather slow and most chariots were war
vehicles and speed was an asset.

> or miniature french masters ( cameras)

Ah, but cameras as well as the term "camera" is period.
p-cameras-msg     (14K)  7/30/98    Notes on period camera obscura.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/UNCAT/p-cameras-msg.html

We are never going to be perfectly "period". It's a matter of effort
versus the reward. This will vary from individual to individual,
depending upon their circumstances, time, interests and yes, time in
the Society.  However, in my opinion, changing the fantasy, made-up
terms to something authentic is a very easy thing to do, doesn't take
an outlay of money, and can be done by anyone including newcomers. Just
like not throwing a coke can on the ground or even drinking out of one
in plain view.

Don't let the idea of "perfection" destroy the idea of "sufficient" or
"good but not quite perfect".

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas