[Ansteorra] Our secrets and our future

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at comcast.net
Wed Jul 13 19:05:28 PDT 2005

Awww. Padraig.

You are exposing my secrets. Shhh. I won't get my secret Laurel decoder ring
and they'll change the secret Pelican handshake on me if my "Moose" secret
gets out!

No, really.....Every society must have an "us" versus "them", or some
version of class envy. If we didn't have this drive to improve ourselves or
overcome adversity, our human race would never have evolved.
However, sometimes we pick the wrong enemy. As Pogo once said, "We have met
the enemy, and he is us."

The SCA spans many centuries of history and many depths of personal
involvement. I hope that we can all pick ours without having to use Peers,
nobles, newcomers, rapier fighters, chivalric fighters, archers,
high-persona folks, or low-persona folks as our choice of "bogey-men".
Labeling them "Period Nazis" or "Authenticity Police" just perpetuates the
destructive myths. We should build each other up, not tear each other down.

We will never grow if we don't welcome new folks and prepare for growth.
We will never learn if we don't value education and teach others what we
know.
We will never progress as a society without learning from our mistakes and
building on our successes and those of others.

And, we will never improve without a vision for what we can become.
What is your vision for the SCA?
For yourself in the SCA?

Just something to consider.....

Xene