[Ansteorra] Lets welcome all - was don't whine, fix it

Julie Cunningham juliecunningham65 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 19:47:35 PDT 2005

***Stephanie Liburn said.... From a newcomer's perspective, this gives a very negative impression:  not only are things going to hell in a hand basket, but nobody wants to do anything about
itbut whine.  Don't whine, fix it.  If you see or hear of a Laurel
dressing
down someone for not being period, get another peer to speak to them
about not being hospitable and doing their jobs:  to encourage and
teach
people about life in the medieval ages.  No one should be made to feel
"bad" or "wrong" because they don't know better.  *******

I agree with her point here, Ansteorra.  What shall we do about it?  For no matter how much any of us work our tail off at demos to get newcomers, what is the use if we do not get along? What takes us a month to build can be destroyed by a word. We must respect and care for each other, either online or on the field, even though we may not agree on all matters.

Newcomers come in at different levels, some are ready to jump in feet first and rarin' to go (like our dear Stephanie here).  They are ready to do the research and whip out period garb, boxes, wall hangings, etc.  But is a newcomer that is romanced by our ways, a little shy and maybe a little too poor to buy linen or silk any less valid?  We should all realize that their are going to be some people in our group who do not have the same mindset or resources as others.  Lets open ourselves up to them and welcome them in.  Yes - lets teach them what they can handle as they can handle it.  But teach gently with a kind heart.

Realize this, that I am speaking to myself and to all of you.  Lets challenge ourselves to open our circles, let some new people in and make them feel welcome. Take a moment to meet new people if you do not recognize them.  Lets show them our history, our traditions, our arts, our warfare.  But lets also open ourselves up to new people,new ideas and new possibilities to the make the dream grow....

Lady Katheryn Cunningghame
Steppes Hospitaler