[Ansteorra] Job descriptions

ladydeirdre at sbcglobal.net ladydeirdre at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 13 20:40:05 PDT 2005

I've been thinking about this subject all day. I have mixed feelings about
the terminology we use.
When I first joined the SCA the term 'troll' was very funny to me - I loved
the play on words and the sound of it - course at that time I was totally
blindly caught up in the magic of the SCA.
Now, 'troll' has become pretty 'everyday' to me - I don't think about the
word or even get the same tingle of magic I did back then. On the flip side,
'gate' sounds so totally mundane, or ordinary - no magic at all. When I
think about how everything felt 14 years ago, when I was just discovering
this world that has become a primary part of my life, I still remember the
excitement I felt, and how the words, the language, was so much a part of
it.
I find the play on words amusing still - 'autocrat' still makes me laugh -
feastocrat is just an offshoot of that. as are the other 'ocrats'. I'll be
sad to see the autocrat fall by the wayside in the name of periodocracy, but
I'm not sure I like event steward - no magic tingle. I do have to wonder who
the guy was that 'volunteered' to run the tournaments (the event, as it
were) back then. Did they call him 'event steward?' sap? fool? sacrifice?
villiage idiot who couldn't keep his hands out of the air?

Deirdre, who's wondering if the insignia for autocrat might should ought to
be a bullseye.