[Ansteorra] Looking for a book

Elinor Salter elinor at avalon.net
Thu Jul 14 01:26:28 PDT 2005

Isobel de Kirkbryde wrote on 7/13/2005 10:25 PM:

>I have been told that this book was published at one
>time.  I have been trying to get a copy of the
>paperback version from the publisher who keeps
>canceling the publication.  If anyone has any idea
>where I can get this book, let me know.
>
>Title:  Plucked, Shaved and Braided: Medieval and
>Renaissance Beauty and Grooming Practices 1000–1600
>(Daniela Turudich & Laurie J Welch)
>
>Thank you!
>
>Isobel de Kirkbryde, a widow.  My son, Odhran Kilmaine and I were blessed to be taken in by Master Michael Fenwick of Fotheringhay.

My lady, it is my understanding that this book has never seen book form
despite what confusing information exists on worldwide book websites. I
would LOVE to be proven wrong, as some foreign websites seem to allude
that they might have copies (do a Google search for the ISBN
193006408X). Unfortunately you'll run into the annoying fact that most
online bookstore sites seem to copy/affiliate with Amazon, so you may
have to wade through pages of identical worthless information that
points back to Amazon anyways.

I have also not yet read a review or listing of this book that
insinuates that whoever did so with a copy in their hands. My idea on
why there are different publishing dates is that while this book was
still a possibility, Streamline would set a date and then cancel. Set a
date, then cancel.

Here is a post made on the h-cost (historical costume) list on the
subject of this book, which is where I read that it never made book form.

jennifer / guenievre <generys at blazemail.com>[66,372]CSuX: anyone know about this book?
Subject: RE: [h-cost] Anyone know about this book?
From: "Jennifer / Guenievre" <generys at blazemail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:56:52 -0500
I contacted Streamline about this book a few months ago, this is the
response I got. Things may have changed since then.

> Hello Jennifer,
>
> Unfortunately, the news on all Streamline titles is not good.
> Streamline has declared all in-print titles out of print (after
> lengthy delays in reprint); all forthcoming titles, including this
> one, have been cancelled after repeated delays in their print
> schedules.  "Plucked, Shaved, & Braided" does not exist in book form.
>
> This news is still relatively new to us, so we have not yet updated
> our website.  We hope to have accurate listings soon.
>
> Let me know if you have any other questions, Robin Independent
> Publishers Group
> 814 North Franklin Street
> Chicago, Illinois  60610
> 800.888.4741  -ph
> 312.337.5985  -fx
> www.ipgbook.com

If you visit that website today, Streamline Press does not exist as a
publisher for them. The website for Streamline Press
(http://www.streamlinepress.com) is defunct and there is no data from
archive.org to suggest when that happened. Amazon itself no longer lists
the ISBN or title as a valid book, which doubly suggests there are no
used books of this title to sell.

A Google search for Streamline Press also turned up an article (
http://tinyurl.com/7jmln ) on the origins of this publisher - it was a
small business run by the author (although here in 2002 she is named
Daniela Soberman). It seems her net profit at the time was pretty good,
but situations can change in an instant. I cannot find any websites or
email lists that Daniela or her co-author Laurie J. Welch belong to. So
I'm at a dead end.

--
YIS
Ly Elinor Salter

"English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar." - Unknown